UCC Mainstream Online

Crime Victims Compensation Program

State funds now available for students, staff

Funds for “unanticipated medical and counseling expenses” related to the Oct. 1 incident at Umpqua Community College are available now for students and staff or “any person on the Umpqua Community College campus at the time of the shooting who has suffered physical or psychological trauma as a result,” according to the Oregon Department of Justice Crime Victims’ Services Division.

The funds must be applied for through the Oregon Department of Justice which has created an online emergency application form to expedite processing of the financial assistance.

The purpose of the money is to pay for medical expenses, counseling and funeral costs related to trauma resulting from Oct. 1.

Those interested in applying for the money have one year (until Oct. 1, 2016).

The money, known as Crime Victims’ Compensation or CVC, will not pay out if the applicant has already received payment through insurance. However, it will pay for co-pays or deductibles. “Any medical or mental health benefits available to the applicant must be utilized prior to CVC. If approved CVC would pay for co-pays and deductibles. If no insurance benefit is available CVC would pay,” according to the Department of Justice website.

Applicants will also be required to sign a form which states that the Department of Justice will be able to recover what it has paid out if the applicant receives reimbursement or compensation from insurance or a lawsuit “or from any other governmental or private agency.”

An example copy of the application is printed on this page. Applications are also available in the Student Center on campus.

Crime Victims' Compesation application